2013 Visit of Experts
Working through the Ministry of Health and the administration at Children's Welfare Teaching Hospital, Dr. Mazin Al-Jadiry and Dr. Salma Al-Haddad invited a team from La Sapienza University in Rome Italy, and from Harvard University, Dana-Farber Children's Hospital Cancer Center in Boston, Massachusetts to Baghdad for a week of lectures, observations, trainings, consultations, strategizing and team building. It was the first international team invited to Medical City in two decades.
We were honored by the invitation and grateful for the opportunity see —first-hand —the challenges and realities of cancer care and of life in Baghdad. Grateful to have an opportunity to support the efforts and the work of our colleagues in Baghdad, to spend time with the medical personnel, with students and administrators at the medical college and to meet with various ministers at the Ministry of Health. The visit was a demonstration of our commitment to working together, helping develop and sustain this International Collaboration to Improve Cancer Care in Iraq, a project we call Baghdad Resolve.
The visiting team from La Sapienza University of Rome:
- Corrado Girmenia, MD, Dept. of Hematology;
- Maria Luisa Moleti, MD, Pediatric Hemato-Oncology Unit, Dept. of Hematology; Anna Maria Testi, MD, Pediatric Hemato-Oncology Unit Director, Dept. of Hematology
- Luigi Ruco, MD, Pathology Unit Director, Dept. of Clinical and Molecular Medicine
- Stefania Uccini, MD, Pathology Unit, Dept. of Clinical and Molecular Medicine
From Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Boston Harvard Medical School:
- Kathleen Houlahan, MSN, MHA, RN, Nurse Director, Hematology/Oncology/Stem Cell Transplant
- Mark W. Kieran, MD, PhD, Director Pediatric Medical Neuro-Oncology
- Leslie Lehman, MD, Director Pediatric Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Program
And Claudia Lefko, M.Ed., Founder and Director Iraqi Children's Art Exchange, Northampton, Massachusetts